Thursday, January 16, 2014

How to Weigh What Your Elder Says....

From St. Ephraim

A certain brother once gave another advice that was of God. Coincidentally, another brother was passing by, to whom the brother giving advice said: "Look, I am advising my brother, here, and he does not wish to listen to me." The passerby replied: "He ought to listen to you. Forgive me, but, it is a joy even to hear something bad from you and, further, to act upon it." The brother giving counsel answered: "It is not so. If you do not prove that it is of God, do not listen to me. Not only avoid listening to me, but even to a Prophet, if he advises you contrary to the Will of God; for the Apostle Paul says: 'But, though we, or an angel from Heaven, preach any other Gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed' (Galatians 1:8). For, who were they that plotted against Susannah in Babylon? Were they not Elders? And not simply Elders, but also judges and leaders of the people? What an end befell them because they did not attend to themselves; and their high office did not help them...